The 2012 Great California ShakeOut earthquake drill is this Thursday, Oct. 18, at 10:18 a.m. The emergency drill is held on the third Thursday of October each year, helping schools, businesses and organizations practice earthquake safety and get prepared for the year.
The annual event is an opportunity for:
- Creating or updating emergency plans
- Creating or updating disaster supplies kits
- Participating in first aid classes or community response team trainings
- Securing furniture, heavy objects, wall hangings, etc. to prevent damage and injury
- Retrofitting your building(s)
- Evacuating buildings (after Drop, Cover, and Hold On)
- Activating of Emergency Operations Center(s)
- Testing communications plans
- Simulating emergency response procedures
- Conducting a tabletop exercise for decision-makers
There are 25 K-12 schools and districts registered for the 2012 ShakeOut in San Mateo County, with a total of 43,897 participants, including the Cabrillo Unified School District and UC Cooperative Extension office in Half Moon Bay.
There is still time to register for the event. Log into the ShakeOut website and register for your family, neighborhood, organization or department.