The hole these gentlemen are digging is long gone. The way they are dressed will help you determine the time period. The answer to "what's this photo" is based on the notorious role that the Coastside played during that era.
Do you know what’s going on in this photo? Tell us a brief history of this historic photo, courtesy of the Half Moon Bay History Association (HMBHA). Bonus points will be given to anyone who can identify the Coastsiders pictured here. Descendants of some of these characters still live here on the Coastside.
The first plausible answer will win a prize: a copy of “Treasures of Half Moon Bay” walking guide to historic locations in town (usually sells for a $10 donation to the HMBHA). Plausibility will be loosely judged by the Half Moon Bay History Association.
The most illuminating or insightful answer will also receive a copy of “Treasures of Half Moon Bay” from the Half Moon Bay History Association.
Be the first to correctly identify what’s going on in the photo, include a colorful description and names of people in the photo if you know them.
Please reply with your answer in the comments section below by Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012. The winner will be announced in Half Moon Bay Patch on Friday, Sept. 28, 2012.
OFFICIAL RULES, DEADLINES & INSTRUCTIONS:
· Of course, this contest is just for fun! But a contest is a contest, and as such there must be official rules. Here are official rules:
· Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are 18 and older.
· To enter, write your answer to the question in the comments section of this article.
· The first plausible answer will receive an award. Plausibility will be loosely judged by the Half Moon Bay History Association.
· The most illuminating or insightful answer will receive an award. Illumination and insight will playfully judged by the Half Moon Bay History Association. In the event of a tie, duplicate prizes will be awarded.
· All entries must be received and votes must be logged by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012.
· You may enter only one answer per person.
· The prizes are 1) The fun of winning plus 2) A copy of the colorful history walking tour guide book, “The Treasures of Half Moon Bay.” It is a pleasant “Now and Then” look at historic buildings, places, and things in the Half Moon Bay community. It is published by the HMB History Association, and “sells” for a $10 donation.
· The Sponsor of the “What’s This Photo” contest is the Half Moon Bay History Association.
For more information about the Half Moon Bay History Association, located at 326 Main Street, Half Moon Bay, visit www.HalfMoonBayHistory.org or call (650) 726-4468. The HMBHA is always looking for new members and volunteers. Annual dues are $25. Tell the stories, keep the records and be a part of how our Coastside came to become itself. Call or e-mail Info@HalfMoonBayHistory.org for a 2013 membership.