Renovations have begun on an historic building in Pescadero. Currently co-owned by the Pescadero History Society and the Native Sons of the Golden West, the building has seen many uses over the years. It is located on Stage Road behind the Post Office the building
Originally the Methodist Episcopal Church built in 1890, it later served as a school until 1915. It became a community center, then a Japanese cultural center until World War II.
Early in 1942, the church was acquired by the Native Sons of the Golden West, Pebble Beach Parlor, and the Native Daughters of the Golden West, Año Nuevo Parlor. It was used as a movie theater until the televison was introduced.
Since then, the Native Daughters sold their half to the Pescadero History Society. The Native Sons own the other half.
The building will be lifted to pour a new foundation that will straighten the sagging walls and begin a new life as a community hall.