Have your calendar at the ready, as you'll want to make note of many of these holiday events and performances taking place in Half Moon Bay and the Coastside. Events are listed in chronological order.
1. Gingerbread House Competition, running through Saturday, Dec. 9. The annual Gingerbread House Competition benefitting Coastside Children's Programs (CCP) opened Monday at the Ritz Carlton. The event combines children's creativity in building the houses and raising money through a silent auction along with raising awareness about the need for those who can't afford preschool or after-school care tuition. 1 Miramontes Point Road, Half Moon Bay.
2. A Christmas Story at Coastal Repertory, running through Sunday, Dec. 16. Coastal Repertory Theatre launches its 27th season with the holiday family favorite, “A Christmas Story.” Adapted for the stage from Jean Shepherd’s classic film and directed by Roxane Ashe, the production features a talented cast of regional actors and is appropriate for all ages. 1167 Main Street, Half Moon Bay.
3. Toys for Tots at Nano’s Yogurt Shack, Wednesday, Nov. 28. Tomorrow from 5 to 7 p.m. San Mateo County sheriffs will be serving yogurt at Nano’s to raise money for 100 families on the Coastside in need. Come be a part of this annual event by bringing a new toy or purchasing Nano's monthly choice, pumpkin cake and chocolate sprinkles. If you can’t make it, Toys for Tots will be leaving the bins for donations at Nano's for your convenience. 523 Main Street, Half Moon Bay.
4. Pescadero Christmas Tree Lighting, Friday, Nov. 30. Come watch as the 16th annual, Pescadero Christmas Tree Lights come on at 7 p.m. Enjoy cookies and hot chocolate, and greet Santa at his arrival, and join in community Christmas Caroling at the Pescadero Post Office. 2020 Pescadero Creek Road, Pescadero.
5. CANCELED: Ritz-Carlton Christmas Tree Lighting, Saturday, Dec. 1. The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay regrets to announce the cancelation of their Tree-Lighting Ceremony due to inclement weather. The Gingerbread House competition is on display and available for silent auction bidding at the Resort until Sunday, December 9th. There’s plenty of holiday magic to be found inside the Resort throughout the month. View their events calendar at www.ritzcarlton.com/hmb. 1 Miramontes Point Road, Half Moon Bay.
6. Santa Claus at the Shoppes at Harbor Village, Dec. 1-24. Meet Santa Claus himself and take your own free pictures inside the Shops at Harbor Village every weekend from noon to 4 p.m. in December through Christmas. Watch Christmas movies on Friday nights through December. 270 Capistrano Road, Half Moon Bay.
7. Ice Skating at the Shoppes at Harbor Village, Dec. 1-24. Artificial skating rink will be opened up at Harbor Village during weekends in December, available for ice skating from 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. 270 Capistrano Road, Half Moon Bay.
8. “Stuff the Bus” with Toys at Cunha Grocery Store, Saturday, Dec. 1. The Sheriff's Activities League is inviting the public to join them in "Stuffing the Bus" with toys and taking pictures with Santa. To help “Stuff the Bus” with new toys, games and gift cards to make each child’s holiday special and happy this year, please bring a new, unwrapped toy to Cunhas between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. 448 Main Street, Half Moon Bay.
9. 13th Annual Night of Lights Parade, Friday, Dec. 7. The 13th Annual Night of Lights a fun event for the whole family in downtown Half Moon Bay. After the tree lighting in Mac Dutra Park on the corner of Kelly and Main Street, the Prince and Princess of the parade will be crowned. The royal children are nominated by teachers and community leaders and chosen by a committee based on their acts of kindness throughout the year. Hundreds of children twinkling in lights lead by the Half Moon Bay High School Marching Band will march down Main Street in the Parade of Lights, sponsored by the Half Moon Bay Review at 7 p.m. Floats and an old-fashioned fire truck will guide Santa to his special seat at Coastside Net for photos and wish lists. Main Street, Half Moon Bay.
10. The Coastside Chorale’s Winter Concert, Saturday, Dec. 8. This joyful event will begin at 7:30 p.m. and includes both Traditional and Contemporary music. The Bells of Joy Bell Choir will join the Chorale. English horn, cello, harp and percussion instruments will also feature. Refreshments will be available at intermission and the Winter Concert Raffle will be drawn at this time.
11. 25th Annual Pillar Point Harbor Lighted Boat Festival, Saturday, Dec. 8. Drop by in late afternoon to walk down the docks and see all of the boat decorations before the judging starts at 6 pm. There will also be a special appearance by Santa, music by the San Mateo Elks Concert Band and carols by the Half Moon Bay High School Choir. Visit the “Giving Zone” this year and drop off any unwrapped gift or canned goods. Following the festival, everyone is invited to stay for the announcement of awards and holiday activities. 1 Johnson Pier, Princeton.
12. Main St. Housing Posada, Dec. 8, 6 p.m. celebrate the holiday Latin-American style by participating in the traditional event reminiscent of the story of Joseph and Mary looking for an inn on their journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem. Join an informal group that will walk around the neighborhood singing songs in an effort to be let him — and is not let in until the final stop at Main St. Housing, where there will be tamales and other traditional foods, music, and dancing. 1101 Main St., Half Moon Bay.
13. 2012 Holiday Music Presentation at the Shoppes at Harbor Village, Sunday, Dec. 9. Come and celebrate the season and feel the Christmas music with Claudine Schwarz-Minton’s violin students and friends for a holiday concert starting at 2 p.m. in the atrium. 270 Capistrano Road, Half Moon Bay.
14. Chanukah Party with Coastside Jewish Community, Sunday, Dec. 9. Community Chanukah Party for the whole family, including latkes, storytelling, hands-on activities for kids, singing, games, fun starting at 5 p.m. Potluck dinner, and Coastside Jewish Community congregation provides latkes. If you want, bring your Menorah and three candles, musical instruments, dreidel and to 'keep it green,' your own plates and utensils. Donation at the door. Non-members of CJC welcome. At the Ted Adcock Community Center. 535 Kelly Avenue Half Moon Bay.
15. Holiday Art Walk, Sunday, Dec. 9. The art galleries, studios and art-related shops in the 600 - 800 blocks of Main Street, collectively know as HMB SOMA ARTS, invite visitors to discover a wealth of art treasures and unique gifts at the Holiday Art Walk from 2 to 5 p.m. There will be live music and holiday treats. Admission is free and open to all. There is plenty of free parking. hmbsomaarts.org 600 - 800 blocks of Main Street, Half Moon Bay.
16. La Honda Fire Brigade Holiday Faire, Sunday, Dec. 9. This annual holiday fair at the La Honda fire station from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. will have pottery, hand painted glassware, jewelry, fabric bags, hand-woven items, Christmas ornaments, fudge, wood items, candles, soaps, lotions, crochet hats and scarves, honey, felted accessories and more. Tamales will be available to munch on while you shop. Local carolers will return and bring Santa with them again. Come to eat, shop, see your neighbors and support the La Honda Fire Brigade. This year, Denis Shaw has donated two of his handmade teddy bears, Bo and Moe for the raffle. Proceeds support local artists and the La Honda Fire Brigade. Bring an ornament to decorate the fire station Christmas tree. 8945 La Honda Road, La Honda.
17. Santa Sighting at Nano’s Yogurt Shack, Wednesday, Dec. 19. Join Santa and his elves as they serve up yogurt with 100 percent of the proceeds going to the Boys & Girls Club of the Coastside. Lots of family fun and photos. 523 Main Street, Half Moon Bay.
18. , Dec. 20 - Jan. 7. Don't miss this unique event, where you might recognize some of your friends and neighbors dressed in garb of times past. 540 Kelly Street, Half Moon Bay.
19. Family Harvest with Coastside Hope, Thursday, Dec. 20. Ritz-Carlton guests will join the hotel for a half-day program, volunteering their time to assist the local community with Coastside Hope. This experience will begin with learning about the growing issue of hunger, as well as understanding Coastside Hope’s mission and services. Next they will work in the warehouse to unload pallets of food from trucks and then sort and bag essential food for distribution. Guests will see, first-hand, the aid they and Coastside Hope provide to our neighbors on the coast. Participants must be 13 years of age or older. Depart from resort at 1:30 p.m., returning at 5:30 p.m. Reservations: 24 hours in advance. 1 Miramontes Point Road, Half Moon Bay.
20. Breakfast with Santa, Sunday, Dec. 23. Enjoy a traditional breakfast buffet from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. with Christmas selections and a Christmas candy table. Visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus. $48 per guest (adult or child) plus tax and gratuity. 1 Miramontes Point Road, Half Moon Bay.
Did we forget something? Tell us in the comments!