It's the start of a new school year, and with that brings quite a few things to look forward to at Cabrillo Unified School District elementary schools.
Half Moon Bay Patch asked PTO presidents at Hatch Elementary, El Granada Elementary and Farallone View to share news about what's in-store at their school this year. Here's what they have to say:
Hatch Elementary School, Corrine Bucher, PTO president
• New Leadership: Mr. Flores joins us as Principal this year. Flores has an extensive background as a teacher, trainer, and principal in Spanish/English immersion programs.
• Our PTO Theme this year is "Collaboration" and our focus is to look for opportunities to work together – that includes the students, teachers, staff, parents and the Coastside community. We have lots of fun things planned.
• A new recess and lunch schedule that facilitates a healthy safe culture for Hatch students.
• Participation in the Night of Lights Parade for the first time.
El Granada Elementary School, Shannon Parsons, PTO president
• New K-5 music program with Rythm & Moves • New science themed family nights with hands-on project • Winter talent show • Western themed Auction in spring • End of year musical performance
Farallone View Elementary School, Sarah Bunkin and Carolyn Morton, PTO Co-Presidents
• We are excited to welcome our two new hires: Sherri Hall (TK/K) and Leah Murray (4th grade).
• This year, in addition to our "Big 4" fundraisers (Voluntary Tuition, eScrip, Auction, Jogathon), the PTO will be dedicating our efforts on strengthening our Farallone View Community. We will continue with some of our most popular events and also add some new ones: Family Movie Nights, Parent Socials, a Winter Festival, Breakfast of Champions, Talent Show.
• In addition to continuing to offer our K-3 students with Music for Minors, this year, we will extend music to the 5th graders in a pilot program intended to bridge music instruction from the elementary school to middle school and beyond. As well, all students will continue to attend Science and PE weekly, participate in Art in Action, HEAL for 2nd and 3rd grade and Classroom Aides for all 4th and 5th grade classes.