This brown cart may not look that exciting, but it is to the 1,963 Coastside residents who received one on their driveway Wednesday.
For years, residents in El Granada, Princeton and Miramar have been cobbling together receptacles out of brown paper bags and plastic bins for their curbside recycling pick-up, but now they don’t have to anymore.
Recology of the Coast delivered the single stream recycling carts to residential El Granada, Princeton and Miramar as part of the revised contract they entered into with the Granada Sanitary District, said Recology of the Coast general manager Chris Porter.
“The new carts are part of the monthly service we are providing and brought on through the Granada Sanitary District’s answer to customer’s requests,” he said.
Beginning Nov. 19, Mid-Coast residents can now mix all of their recyclables into the same brown cart.
With the upgrade in recycling services, there will be no changes to garbage and green waste services or schedules. Recycling bins are collected every week on your regular garbage day. They need to be placed curbside by 6 a.m. with the lid closed completely.
Questions regarding the single-stream recycle program should be directed to Recology of the Coast at 650-355-9000.
Here are some reminders about recycling:
Acceptable Recycling Materials
Only place recyclable materials into your brown container!
Please empty and rinse all food and beverage containers.
All colors of beverage and food containers
- Beverage bottles (beer, juice, soda)
- Mayonnaise jars
- Spaghetti sauce jars
- Rinsed food and beverage cans
(aluminum, steel, and tin)
- Empty aerosol cans
- Loose lids from jars
Narrow-neck plastic containers marked #1 - #7 and Wide mouth plastics #2 through #5
- Detergent and shampoo containers
- Milk and orange juice jugs
- Water bottles
- Yogurt, margarine and butter tubs
- Black plastic (includes plastic flower pots, tubs)
- Recycle household batteries by sealing them in a clear plastic bag and placing them ON TOP of your curbside recycling cart.
Most clean and dry household paper:
- Aseptics, paper carton with foil iner (includes soups, juice boxes and soy containers).
- Cardboard (flattened and broken down)
- Computer, copy and fax paper
- File folders
- Food boxes (cereal, crackers, remove liners)
- Glossy paper
- Junk mail
- Magazines, catalogs and phone books
- Paper bags
- Paper egg cartons
- Paperback & phone books
- Shredded paper (to help reduce litter, please place shredded paper in paper bags before placing in cart)
- Soft-cover and hard-cover books
- Cardboard must be flattend to fit inside the car with lid closed. Extra cardboard should be flattened and bundled and tied, placed next to your brown cart.
Unacceptable Recycling Materials
Please do not place the following non-recyclable materials into your brown container!
- Concrete, rocks, dirt
- Televisions, computers, cell phones, batteries, fluorescent light bulbs, mercury switches
Food Waste & Green Waste
- Food scraps, grass, leaves, tree and bush cuttings
- Paints, solvents, cooking oil, motor oil, cleaners, corrosives, fuel tanks - propane tanks
Non-Recyclable Glass, Metal, Paper and Plastic