With the March 15 state deadline for school districts to issue warnings about potential layoffs coming up in less than a week, tonight's meeting of the Cabrillo Unified School District Board will center around how school board members will vote on whether these notices should be given out or not.
The impetus behind the potential layoffs come from a shortfall in funds; currently, according to updated financial projections over the next few years, the district's projected structural deficit has increased by approximately $450,000 from its last budget report -- from $1,089,994 to the current deficit calculated at $1,530,175.
In supporting board documents, administrative staff recommend that the board vote to "reduce or eliminate" 11 positions (including the principal at Farallone View Elementary School and 10 others at the elementary school level), along with reducing staff time reserved for K-3 physical education program, special education, high school biology, music, and world language instruction.
Parents, board members and faculty will gather to weigh in on this issue and more at the District Office on Kelly Avenue for this evening’s meeting of the Regular Governing Board of the . The 7 p.m. public meeting will follow a closed session meeting of the Board at 6 p.m.
Some of the many items on tonight’s agenda include (but are not limited to) the following:
- A public comment period (those wishing to comment must sign up at the meeting)
- Recognition of Diana Purucker, Diana Farnsworth and Julia Thollaug for their presentation of “A Comedy of Errors”
- Presentation of a Report on Bullying, with discussion of prevention and intervention tactics
- Approve a Certified Personnel Report, which includes the resignation of a Farallone View Elementary School teacher and a leave of absence
- Approve the minutes of the February 5th and 10th Special Meetings of the Governing Board and the February 10th Regular Meeting of the Governing Board
- Presentation and acceptance of the Six-Month Enrollment Report for the 2010-2011 school year
- Approval of donations to the District
- Approve an overnight field trip to Santa Barbara for ’s Track and Field team
- Presentation and adoption of the Second Interim Financial Report and Revision
- Discussion of a recommendation that the District issue a Tax and Revenue Anticipation note to regulate the cash flow into the District and help ensure it meets its financial goals
- Discussion of possible layoffs by March 15 for some District employees as a result of lack of funds
- Discussion of employee seniority criteria
- Consider giving support to a measure on the June ballot that would extend a number of temporary taxes
- Consider a resolution to support full funding of County Mental Health services for disabled students
- Cast ballot for California School Board Association’s annual election to determine new representatives for its State Delegate Assembly
- Presentation of upcoming events, such as the Farallone View Dinner and Auction
See the meeting agenda (and supporting documents) at the right for a full list of items to be discussed at tonight’s meeting.