The San Mateo County high school baseball landscape is looking quite similar to how it did at the end of the 2010 season. Four of the top five teams in Patch’s current county rankings won at least a share of a league title last year, and two went on to claim a Central Coast Section championship.
With three weeks left in the regular season, here is a look at how San Mateo County teams stack up. The top-10 weekly rankings are drawn from all schools in the county.
Records are based on reported games played through Monday, April 25.
1. Serra 15-8 (Last week: 1) Padres have gone 6-3 in one-run games; hot pitchers have allowed 10 runs in current 4-1 streak.
2. Menlo School 15-4 (2) Local bragging rights on line on Saturday when Knights host 17-7 Paly, a 2010 CCS Div. II finalist.
3. Carlmont 15-6 (3) Huge reason Scots share PAL Bay lead at 7-3. Catcher Hicks has 15 RBIs and three HRs in league.
4. El Camino 11-10-1 (6) Soph SS Pastora flourishing: batting .339 and slugging .516, 18 walks (vs. 13 Ks) in 20 games.
5. Burlingame 10-9 (4) Hasn’t swept or been swept in Bay series; needs two wins over Sequoia to bolster league title defense.
6. Hillsdale 12-7 (5) Fell to 3-5 in Bay after dropping four of last five; needs to reverse momentum vs. 4-4 M-A.
7. Menlo-Atherton 14-7 (8) Best sign from impressive 4-1 showing in Rancho Cordova tourney? Bears allowed just six runs.
8. Half Moon Bay 16-5 (7) Too early to think about 14-0 PAL Ocean record? HMB will be big favorite in final six games.
9. Terra Nova 10-8-1 (9) Jr. Manessis solid at plate (team-high .431 average, 12 RBIs) and on mound (4-2, 2.29 ERA).
10. Sacred Heart Prep 11-9 (10) Three-sport star O’Donnell riding six-game hit streak that includes three HRs and one 2B.