Forty-two local artists will show their work in an auction at Half Moon Bay's restaurant to benefit the medical humanitarian organization Doctors Without Borders.
The event willl open on Thursday with an art preview reception hosted in the restaurant's Music Box entertainment area.
The space will also host an artist panel talk on Nov. 10 and a closing gala on Nov. 17.
“This year the theme is ‘journey’ in acknowledgement of all the different places Doctors Without Borders goes to support those in need,” said , a Half Moon Bay resident and artist who founded the event.
Paintings, photographs, sculptures, collages, and jewelry will be featured, according to Shintani.
“It's impressive to see more than 40 creative interpretations of the theme - from maps to masks, and labyrinths to boats,” she added.
2011 is the fifth year that an art auction has been organized in Half Moon Bay to raise funds for Doctors Without Borders.
The event has raised thousands of dollars throughout the years, according to Shintani.
An independent organization, Doctors Without Borders deploys nurses, doctors, epidemiologists and other professionals to provide emergency aid in areas experiencing armed conflict, epidemics and natural or man-made disasters. The group also works in countries where residents do not have access to health care.
The organization is working in over 60 countries around the world.
Donated artwork includes:
- Nancy Margulies (Montara) — a painting of immigrants who “carry their culture with them,” according to the artist. The painting is also the lead image used in all materials promoting this year's event.
- (El Granada) — painted a mask depicting the mythic Oroborus with "humanity" on its back
- Margaret Lindsey — painting assemblage “The Journey Continues” is about a specific teaching from the Chinese oracle I Ching
Public events schedule
- Preview Reception: 6-8 pm, Oct. 27 — music and refreshments,
- Silent auction bids: run of exhibition until up until 8 pm, Nov. 17
- Artist Panel: 6-8 pm, Nov. 10 – Speakers: Clifford Hunt, Kathy Bristol, Margaret Lindsey, Randall Reid, Sheila Edwards-May
- Closing Gala: 6-9 pm, Nov. 17 — live auction, closing of silent auction, music and refreshments
Participating artists include:
Ann Hollingsworth, Anne Ingraham, Arthur Hofmayer, Bill Long, Carole Brehm, Catherine Favre, Charie Harris, Clifford Hunt, Colleen Murray, David/Hijin Hodge, Deborah Clark, Deborah Brown-Penrose, Don Baldwin, Ellen Vogel, Emelia Preciado, Ethan Hofmayer, Jan Tiura, Janet Jarvis, Jennifer Alpaugh, Jennifer Clark, John Donohue, Judy Johnson-Williams, Judy Shintani, Kathy Bristol, Leslie Hunt, Lisa Kairos, Margaret Lindsey, Mauro Ffortissimo, Miryana Tesic, Nancy Margulies, Nina Miller, Pamela Martin Noyes, Randall Reid, Rachid Bousellum, Richard Kirchner, Sheila Edwards-May, Susan Alvaro, Susan Friedman, Susana van Bezooijen, Vicki Cormack, Victoria Woodrow, Winifred Dell'Ario
Event organizing committee:
Jennifer Clark, Judy Shintani, and Susan Friedman
Pasta Moon is located at 315 Main Street in Half Moon Bay.
To read an article published on Half Moon Bay Patch from last year's event, click .